Our School Council reflects upon and uses the important messages we teach about British Values, to make sure we work effectively together.
Our School Council members are elected in October each year, as part of Democracy Day. This is a day in school where campaigns are developed, presented and voted on. Through our democratic process of voting each class between years 1 and 6 vote and appoint two class councillors, as their representative on our school’s leadership committee. Children remain members of the committee until the following year, when democracy day is held again.
Some children are eager and want to take on this responsibility but other children can apply to be members of our ECO committee or Health, Sport and Wellbeing Committee. Children need to be committed to these groups for at least half a term but can be involved longer.
Everybody in our school has a voice and is listened to through our class council meetings, that take place monthly between November and July.
Our Leadership Committee then reflects on feedback shared in class meetings, to make decisions about the changes we want to see in our school community. We respect the ideas and suggestions of everybody in our school.
Our School Council Committee members take on a range of responsibilities and are shown trust in making decisions and making changes.
During 2021/22 School Council…
- Changed and improved playtimes by making sure equipment was used fairly across all KS2 classes.
- School Council re-introduced tuck shop after it was closed during Covid-19.
- School Council are coordinating a remembrance event at the local memorial. They will make sure classes make a wreath and take it there on behalf of their class.
- School Council wanted to have a wider range of lunchtime and after school clubs. We introduced Lego Club, Science Club, more sports clubs and some new music clubs.
- School Council have already started to carry out research about therapy dogs.
- School Council held a meeting with Mrs Shaw about some of their ideas. They answered lots of questions Mrs Shaw had too.
- School Council prepared and shared a presentation about their work so far and their vision for the future with the Governors.